Friday, January 11, 2013

Healthy homemade chicken noodle soup recipe

Nothing beats chicken noodle soup!! But I can't stand a can of soup any more since I started making my own. It's really easy, yes it takes 3 hours to make but it is so worth it!!! I even make my own noodles because they only take about 15 minutes to make and taste amazing!!!

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
Celery Sticks
Carrots
Onion
Minced Garlic
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Italian seasoning
Dried parsley flakes

Directions:
I put the whole chicken in a pot (be sure you check inside the chicken to see if there is a bag of innards in there, I dispose of this, but if you want them be sure to take them out of the bag). I fill the pot with water and then season with garlic powder, minced garlic, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and dried parsley flakes. Then place the pot on the burner. I set the timer for 60 minutes. This way I keep my eye on the fluid level.

Then I dice up the veggies and throw them in while the chicken is boiling (usually about a half hour into the boiling).

 
Then when the timer goes off I add in more water if needed and let it boil for one more hour. Then at 2 hours I take the chicken out. (It usually just falls apart at this point.)
 
 
 
 
I let the chicken cool for about 15 min. And then I shred it into the pot and let it boil for another half hour.
 
During this time I make up the homemade noodles.
 
Ingredients:
 
1 cup flour
1 egg (slightly beaten)
3 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 Italian seasoning
 
Directions:
 
Mix until it forms a ball. You may need to sprinkle in more flour to make it not sticky. Sprinkle the counter with flour. And roll out the dough, to about 1/4 inch. I take a pizza cutter and slice the dough into small strips. Then put on a pan and let it dry for about an hour (if they don't dry you will get little dumplings when you drop into soup)..
 
 
 
When noodles dry, throw them in the soup. Have soup on low-med heat and let them cook for at least 15 minutes and you are ready to serve.
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment